Introduction
Hello Everyone!
My name is Krystine and I am a secondary English Education major with a double major in Classics, specifically ancient civilizations. I will be finishing up my Classics degree with the class Ancient Greek Religion and I will be doing my full time student teaching next semester and graduating in May 2023, if all goes well. I am also doing my part time student teaching this semester at Bay View High school.
My future goals would be to include ways to incorporate humanities into my future classes, with the ultimate dream of teaching mythology or showing the difference between cultures, but accepting those differences. The symbol above is the Yin Yang, which means a lot to me personally and it shows the importance of balance and that you cannot have the good without the evil and there are aspects of both in one. For example, the good has a little bit of bad and the bad has a little bit of good, showing one cannot live without the other. Mythology is another one of my passions and there is so much that can be learned about how people lived so long ago through the texts and poems that have been translated. Right now classics is specifically on Roman, Greek, and Egyptian and my hope is to eventually learn more about Celtic and Scandinavian (Viking) myths.
The above link is a blog post that gives guidance on how to incorporate or teach The Odyssey. I read it in high school and then re-read it for one of my classics courses and there is a lot of information in the text and the text is very wordy and can be hard to comprehend. This blog post helps to determine what the students need to know which can cut a lot of the unimportant parts from the readings. It can also help students learn a different aspect of a culture through reading, such as funerary rites of the ancient Greeks.
test
ReplyDeleteHi Krystine! I am glad you are enjoying your student teaching experience right off the bat. Incorporating mythology into your classroom will be interesting since you have background knowledge. I know as a student I loved when an English class incorporated something other than novels into the curriculum, hopefully you can do a unit in student teaching! The symbol of the ying yang is great since I feel like a lot of people do see the bad and good within themselves and often think that the bad is not okay. We all have good and bad parts about ourselves and the less appealing shouldnt be pushed aside. If you are a more quiet person that is not defined as "bad" so that chart may assist a student who feels bad about that quality.
ReplyDeleteHi Krystine! I actually work at Bay View High School at the Twilight Center-- it's a nice school! I am happy to hear that you enjoy working there.I think that incorporating the humanities into your English classes will be a great way to expand your students' horizons.
ReplyDeleteI like that you are looking into how to teach The Odyssey-- I remember it being a wordy and difficult text in high school. My teacher did a lot to make it more digestible for us and it really aided my understanding.
Hey Alissa,
DeleteWhat is the Twilight Center? That sounds interesting and I may drop in to say 'hi' as I am only there from 8 am to 11 am and I do not have anything going on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
I remember reading the Odyssey in high school, but not really. Like I remember we had the assignment and we watched a movie, but not any of the content, if that makes sense; my high school memories are hit and miss. But I had to read the Odyssey for a Classics course and we spent a good amount of time on it and our professor broke down certain lines for us, but I am a terrible college student and only skimmed the book.
Hi Krystine! Your picture is so interesting because I always see that image and never know what it is. I love how you explained the image because it is very true: without the good there is always evil. When I was in high school, I also read
ReplyDeleteThe Odyssey". It is funny how we use things that our teachers used on us when we were in school to use on our future students. My favorite part about learning about it was the class debates.
Hey Krystine! Curious as to what floor you are working on in Bay View High School? I am currently placed there for my rotation of field work/student teaching on the fourth floor with Ms. Mudlaff! My placement is in room 411 where I teach 9th grade citizenship and a mixed class of psychology. Feel free to stop in anytime! I also think your interest with Ancient Greek religion is fascinating. Ever since a kid i have held high interest in greek mythology starting with my reading of the Percy Jackson series. Such a shame that movie series didn't make it farther into the books, would of loved to see the final book in motion. Do you think that Mythology and Ancient culture will be the focus of your blog post coming forward? Either way I am incredibly excited to hear more form you this semester. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete-Keegan Marifern
Hey Keegan,
DeleteI am in room 331 with Miss Tobin and I am only there part time this semester, so I am only there fifteen hours a week and In would love to stop by sometime! I just do not want to interrupt your teaching when you have students. As for my future blog posts, I honestly do not know. I have been told by my English professors that my writing is honest and they could pick up on my meanings and how I was feeling when I was writing at that particular time. It was kind of scary, but awesome they could read my personality. I also am not sure what I want to do for my inquiry project. It very well could be on mythology, and I have recently been thinking about Halloween, as it is coming up. But, we will see.
~Krystine
Hi Krystine,
ReplyDeleteI am fascinated with your double major. You might be the first person I know to major in Classics. I did not even realize that this was a major at UWM. I look forward to hearing more about this as the semester progresses. I am also doing my student observation/student teaching this year. I am at Vincent High School in MPS. I am sure we could share so eye opening stories from our first few weeks in the classroom. I hope you have a great semester and I look forward to hearing more about your year.
~Zack Fountain
Hey Zack,
DeleteSo, the Classics department has three categories to choose from as a major. My major specializes in ancient civilizations, which are Greek, Roman, and Egyptian, but you can also specialize in ancient Greek language and literature or classical Latin language and literature. I also want to learn more about Celtic and Norse mythology, and I wrote a research paper about how the Dracula/vampire myths have affected modern day Romania, as Dracula was based on Vlad the Impaler, who was a real person. It is truly fascinating. There are also some animes based off myths, which is awesome!
~Krystine
Hey Krystine! Introducing mythological and multicultural texts into your future classroom is a great idea. While I have never studied it, ancient mythology interests me as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how your inquiry blog comes together and possibly learning about mythological literature from specific cultures.
ReplyDeleteHi Krystine!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to meet you. I don't have a major in classical, but I personally like Chinese culture and history. I will go to read relevant books. At the same time, I also like the picture you put. My understanding of this picture is that everything in the world has its opposite. Wish you a wonderful semester!
Wow, Krystine, as alway, you've started a great conversation here in the comments! I love your interest in the classics and how to breathe into them new life. I know that my older sons (middle and high school) have really enjoyed the stick man renditions of the Odyssey and the Illiad.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/DVL/stickman-odyssey